Friday, March 18, 2016

Waiting is the Hardest Part

So, here's the issue if you have a long wait time between signing your contract with Ryan and actually breaking ground.....
You have WAY too much time to think and re-think and question your structural and design choices.
If you're one of the lucky sign>pick>build people, bless you. You'll have to tell me how you handle it. Maybe the excitement of the build progress helps temper the regret and questioning?
I keep driving through our development, and the Rome-filled development 20 minutes away, reading other Ryan blogs, and end up with more and more ideas.
I have a problem. The first step is admitting it.

Since we're still making changes (yay- more DocuSign!) with the just-approved custom front stoop request, I figured I should just lay all of my other concerns out there to our insanely patient SR.

Here's what we threw at her:

  • Addition of ceiling fan rough-ins in study and family room (originally had only 1 in morning room). 
  • Addition of recessed lights in family room (4? 6? Any recommendations?)
  • Exterior selection change request - more on that below
These are in addition to the other changes we've already made post-selection deadline.
  • Add extra window in living room
  • Add trim package 3
  • Add upgraded kitchen faucet
  • Probably a couple more I can't recall right now

Exterior Selections
I was happy with my picks. I really was. Then I started stalking driving around the development. Somehow we had missed that along our street, the color range goes: 
- Irish Thistle
- Spanish Olive
- Irish Thistle (us) 

This would maybe be OK ("the green corner gang!"), except that last night I noticed that the Irish Thistle has the exact same stone and shutters that we chose. Different model and door color. 
But it's REALLY bugging me. Maybe I'm also being paranoid, but I want to make friends with our new neighbors, not piss them off by choosing their same house colors just two doors down. I would be annoyed if someone did that, so I'll make the same assumption for them. 

I emailed our SR to approve the porch change order, and asked a casual question about the exterior colors this morning. She's away, so probably won't get back to me until Monday. If she's still checking email, she'll have the whole weekend to calm down enough to not kill me. :)
Cross your fingers that it's not too late. I'll just be here....coming up with a new color scheme in case she's feeling kind.

3/29/16 update to exterior color panic: We got the OK to go to model to re-choose colors, but it had to be THAT DAY, because everything was being ordered the next morning after their weekly (?) meeting. Have I mentioned that our SR is awesome?
I was ready to change all selections - picked out Graphite Gray siding, black shutters, Marooned door, and a grey stone (can't remember name).
Then Hubs struck again.
He apparently can't live without Irish Thistle. So "the green corner gang" will be a thing. Sigh.

One nagging concern - the Ridgestone Chardonnay stone we picked looks gorgeous on the sample - but it appears to have random yellow stone mixed in on the finished houses in the development. I mean REALLY REALLY YELLOW.

Just add it to my list of crazy, paranoid worries and re-thinking.

Ridgestone Chardonnay - BAD

Ridgestone Chardonnay - GOOD


1 comment:

  1. This waiting game is KILLING me! We originally chose all of our stuff back at the end of December. We are anxiously awaiting the word that we will have our pre-construction meeting here in the next week or two.

    And we TOTALLY drive to our development at least once a week. Normally on the weekends. We stop in to see our SR if she isn't too busy and then drive back to see the progress of the homes that will eventually house our neighbors.
    But- I want that hole in the ground to be OURS and not everyone else's around us. We got held up because of the lovely mortgage company. So here we are, over 3 months from starting this whole process, and we haven't done ANYTHING yet.

    ReplyDelete